DirecTV is a broadcast satellite television provider that offers streaming services in addition to its satellite channels. There’s a broad range of viewing options, including sports, lifestyle programs, and movies. Content includes ESPN, HBO Max, CNN, and National Geographic Wild.
How to Cancel DirecTV
You cannot cancel DirecTV online or via an app like you might be able to do with other television providers. The only way to end your subscription is to use the DirecTV cancel service number. Keep in mind that only the account holder can cancel a Direct TV account. This is the person whose name is on the bill. Use the following steps to end your subscription.
- Call 1-800-531-5000 to cancel Direct TV.
- Call between the hours of 8 am and 12 am EST to reach a customer service representative.
- Ask to have your DirecTV subscription canceled.
What Happens When You Cancel DirecTV?
Other than the obvious – your DirecTV account will be canceled, and you will no longer be able to access it. There are a couple of other things to keep in mind. One of the most important is the cost. If you still have a contract, you will have to pay a fee to cancel your DirecTV subscription early. Here’s what to expect.
- You will pay a one-time deactivation fee of $15.
- For each month remaining on the contract, you will pay an early termination fee of $20. For example, if your account has 10 months remaining, the fee will be $200.
Alternatives to Canceling DirecTV
Canceling is one option you have, but you can also take advantage of a couple of others. Knowing your options allows you to determine which one is best for you and can save you some money at the same time. Here are some other choices.
- Move your DirecTV subscription to a new house.
- Temporarily suspend your service.
- Choose DirecTV streaming.
Let’s look at each of these options a bit more closely.
Moving Your DirecTV Account
Are you moving? You don’t have to cancel your DirecTV subscription and start over in the new house. You can take it with you, and it’s easy to do and will save you the cost of terminating your account early. The process varies between satellite and streaming services.
Let’s start with moving your satellite service.
- Call 1-877-630-0727.
- Provide us with your new address and your move-in date.
- Move your TV receivers and remotes to your new house.
- Leave the satellite dish.
- Complete the Landlord Approval Form if you’re moving into an apartment.
As you can see, this is a much more cost-effective option when compared to canceling your DirecTV account. You can enjoy the rest of your contract in your new home.
Now let’s look at how to move your DirecTV streaming service.
- Set up your internet connection in your new house.
- Connect your DirecTV compatible devices using Wi-Fi.
- Log in to your DirectTV account and change your address.
- Use the DirectTV STREAM app to start streaming your favorite programs.
You can also make changes to your DirecTV services when you move. Though this might incur additional fees, it’s easy to do—Call 1-888-510-1346 to get started.
Temporarily Suspend Your Service
Suspending your service will save you the early termination fees and is an excellent idea if you’re traveling for an extended period or are between houses for more than a couple of months. To suspend your service, call 1-800-288-2020. Here’s what you need to know about suspending your DirecTV account.
- There is a $7 monthly fee for suspending your account.
- You must suspend your account for at least 30 days, but not more than 6 months.
- If you agreed to a promotional package for a lower price, you can’t suspend your DirecTV account.
- You can’t suspend if you have an outstanding balance on your account.
- If you have a sports subscription with a payment installation agreement, you will be billed when your account is reactivated, even if the season has ended.
Choose DirecTV Streaming
Unlike the DirecTV satellite service, streaming is charged on a month-to-month basis. There’s no annual contract or hidden fees. If you need to cancel, there won’t be early termination fees, which can save you quite a bit of money. Here’s how to do it.
- Call 1-844-366-1050.
- Decide which monthly package you want.
- Choose which device you want to stream with.
- Connect your compatible devices to your Wi-Fi.
With DirecTV STREAM, you can access more than 7,000 apps and can stream on up to 20 devices in the same home. Watch your recorded programs anywhere and enjoy voice remote and all of the top sports channels.
How to Return Your DirecTV Equipment
If you decide to cancel DirecTV, you’ll need to return some of your equipment and some of it you can keep. Make sure you call DirecTV before sending back any of your satellite or streaming equipment. Use this chart to help you determine what goes back and what stays.
|Service||What to Return||What to Keep|
|DirecTV STREAM||Your DirecTV streaming device if you cancel within 14 days of delivery||Your DirecTV streaming device if you cancel 14 days or more after delivery|
|DirecTV||DirecTV Leased receivers and your wireless video bridge||Your satellite dish and accessories and your remote controls|
Recycling Your DirecTV Equipment
It’s easy to recycle your DirecTV equipment using the following steps.
- Access the DirecTV recycling site.
- Answer the questions about your equipment.
- Print a shipping label.
- Ship your device to a certified recycler.
Dropping Off Your DirectTV Equipment
Another option is to drop off the equipment that needs to be returned. Make sure you keep your return receipt and tracking number. There are a few ways that you can drop your equipment off, and DirecTV will instruct you accordingly.
- Drop your equipment off at a UPS or FedEx site. You will need your DirecTV account number and it will be shipped free of charge. Make sure you get a receipt so that DirecTV knows your package is on its way.
- Use a return kit, which DirecTV will mail to you. Deliver the return kit to your local post office or give it to your mail carrier.
- Use the prepaid label that comes with your new equipment. Put the old equipment in the box and cover the current mailing label with the one inside the box. Deliver to your local post office or FedEx mailing site.
Avoid fees by returning your undamaged equipment within 21 days. Follow all directions for returning your equipment.
Other Ways DirecTV Can Help You With Your Service
Canceling, suspending, or moving your DirecTV account isn’t the only way they can help you. Here’s a list of other things they can do for you.
You can also chat with a technician online or connect using social media. That includes Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Before you cancel your DirecTV account, consider your alternatives. You may be able to save some money and keep your service by suspending or moving it. The best way to decide which option is best is to call DirecTV and discuss your choices. You can get answers to your questions and find out which option will save you the most money. In some cases, canceling may be the best decision, but you may be surprised to find that the alternatives may be better for your needs.