Choosing a particular streaming service is becoming more and more difficult these days as the number of such services is constantly growing. You might want to ask yourself whether such services offer content that suits your taste and whether the subscription costs are worth paying for. If the answer is no, you might need to reconsider keeping your subscriptions and cancel some of them. If you're looking for an easy and fast way to cancel your Hulu subscription, all you have to do is read on.
What is Hulu
Launched in 2008, Hulu is an on-demand streaming service that is among the most widespread video streaming platforms in the US. Currently, it has a total of 43.8 million paid subscribers, compared to 36.6 million in 2020. The platform is now owned by The Walt Disney Company and is only available in the United States and other limited locations.
Hulu Subscription Plans
The choice of a Hulu subscription plan depends on the subscriber's needs and taste. The 4 major Hulu plans are listed in the following table:
|Hulu Basic Plan||$6.99/month||- Access to the entire Hulu's on-demand library|
- Contains ads
|Hulu (No Ads)||$12.99/month||Access to the entire Hulu's on-demand library without ads|
|Hulu + Live TV||$64.99/month||- Access to the entire Hulu's on-demand library|
- Live TV package including over 75 live channels
- Contains ads
|Hulu (No Ads)+ Live TV||$70.99/month||- Access to the entire Hulu's on-demand library|
- Live TV package including over 75 live channels without ads
If you are interested in Hulu's add-ons, such as the number of screens, language preferences, or content types, you may include some additional services to your plan for a few more dollars. The following table shows Hulu's additional services along with their monthly fees:
|Hulu + Live TV (No Ads)||$6|
|Enhanced Cloud DVR||$9.99|
|Enhanced Cloud DVR + Unlimited screens||$14.98|
|Spanish language Add-on||$4.99|
Is a Hulu Subscription Worth Paying For?
Although Hulu offers a variety of TV and movie streaming options, there are many things that you might dislike about it. What do Hulu subscribers usually complain about?
- Hulu is only available in the United States, Puerto Rico, some US military bases, and limited areas in Japan.
- There are a variety of Hulu plans and bundles, but the cheapest one (Basic) continuously interrupts its users with ads before and after each video. To avoid that, you’ll have to opt for another subscription plan, which will cost you extra money.
- Some subscriber reviews mention that Hulu offers a poor movie selection and a very limited content collection as compared to other streaming platforms.
- Hulu is focused on offering newer TV shows and movies. But if you’re looking for some old shows’ seasons, you might not be able to find them.
- The option of downloading the user’s favorite TV shows and movies and watching them offline was recently added to Hulu but only on limited mobile devices.
- Many user reviews state that Hulu's plans and pricing are complicated and the available payment options are limited.
All these drawbacks might eventually make you choose to cancel your subscription.
How Can I Cancel My Hulu Subscription?
Without denying Hulu's quality content and offerings, some aspects make Hulu a poor choice for some users. If you've calculated that the disadvantages of your subscription outnumber the benefits, follow the instructions below to cancel your Hulu subscription fast and easily.
How to Cancel Hulu Free Trial
There's a chance you find out that Hulu isn't a good fit for you during your trial. In such a case, you can cancel the service at any time during your free trial period and avoid being charged afterward. Besides, doing so as soon as you make up your mind will eliminate the risk of forgetting about it and being taken aback by the bill. What do you have to do to cancel the Hulu free trial?
Visit your Account page using your PC or mobile browser. Click on Cancel under the Your Account section. You'll be provided with instructions you need to follow and a confirmation email after completing the process. You have to be aware that Hulu membership cancellation during your trial takes effect immediately and blocks your access to the service.
How to Cancel Hulu Membership Online
You can cancel Hulu Live TV on your web browser using your computer or mobile device by following the instructions below.
- Visit Hulu’s official website and tap Log in in the top right corner of the screen or simply click your Account page
- Enter your username (or email) and password, then solve the Captcha and click Log in
- On the top right section of the page, click on your name, then select Account from the drop-down list to access the Manage your account page
- Go to the lower section of the current page and then tap Cancel under Your Subscription
- A pop-up may show up, asking you if you want to pause your subscription instead of canceling it. If so, specify your Hulu membership freeze period
- Otherwise, tap “Continue to Cancel” to confirm your cancelation and choose a reason why you want to cancel your subscription
- To check if everything went right, check your Account page again. You should see "Your subscription will be canceled” as your subscription status.
Cancel Hulu Account on the Mobile App
Hulu app is available both for Android and iOS devices. Unfortunately, iOS users can't manage their account services and cancel their subscriptions directly from the app. Instead, they should visit their web browser and cancel their subscription from there, as shown in the previous section. For Android users, the process is pretty simple - all you have to do is take the following steps:
- Open the Hulu app
- Tap your profile icon in the lower right section of the screen
- Click Account in the Menu
- Re-enter your password if you are asked to do so
- On your Account page, scroll down to the “Cancel Your Subscription” section and click “Cancel”
- You will be advised to pause your subscription instead, where you can determine how long you’d like your subscription to be paused. Otherwise, choose “Continue to Cancel”
- Choose a reason for your decision to cancel your Hulu subscription
- Tap “Continue to Cancel”
How to Cancel a Hulu Account via iTunes
If you are an iPhone user and have set up your Hulu payment through iTunes, you may follow the following directions to cancel your subscription:
- Go to your iPhone Settings
- Click on your name in the upper part of the screen
- Tap “Subscriptions”
- Click on your Hulu account subscription
- Choose the option to Cancel and follow the given prompts
When you have done the above, your account will no longer be charged by iTunes.
How to Cancel Hulu Membership via Spotify
If you are a Spotify Premium user, you are automatically subscribed to Hulu. In such a case, you can cancel your Hulu subscription by going back to the Spotify free version by following these simple steps:
- Run Spotify either using a web browser or the mobile app.
- Log in to your Spotify account
- Locate and tap “Account Settings”
- Go to the “Your Plan” section
- Click “Change Plan”
- Select “Spotify Free”
- Tap “Cancel Premium”
- If asked, Confirm your choice
- A pop-up window will appear. This window will give you the exact date upon which your Spotify Premium account will become a Spotify Free account.
Another option for Spotify Premium Student subscribers is to cancel your Hulu account at any time directly from your Spotify account page. To do so, select Your Services under Account Overview and click Deactivate Hulu. This will remove your access to Hulu only without deleting your Spotify account.
How to Cancel Hulu Subscription via Amazon Prime
If your Hulu subscription is being paid through Amazon, you have two options to cancel it: through Hulu or Amazon. In case you want to cancel it via Amazon, follow these guidelines:
- On your web browser, navigate to the Amazon Login page - https://www.amazon.com/gp/sign-in.html
- Log in to your Amazon account using your username and password
- In the upper right section of this screen, make your mouse move over “Account and Lists”
- In the “Your Account” section, tap “Account”
- Tap the “Your Devices and Content” button
- Tap “Manage App Store Subscriptions” in the “Things you can do” section
- As soon as you find your Hulu subscription, tap “Actions” on the right
- Choose “Turn off auto-renewal” from the drop-down list
- Confirm your choice
Cancel Hulu Subscription Through Your Cable Provider
Some cable companies offer a Hulu subscription as part of their packages. If you subscribed through such providers, it might be tricky to cancel Hulu membership. The cancellation procedure, in this case, may vary, but you usually need to contact your cable service provider. If you have access to your cable provider's website through a log-in account, you might find an option to cancel your Hulu subscription there. Otherwise, simply call your provider and follow their instructions for a more streamlined cancellation process.
How to Cancel Hulu Subscription via Roku
You can cancel Hulu membership from your Channel list or the Channel Store by following the steps below:
- Go to the Home screen on your Roku remote by clicking “Home”
- Select the “Channel Store” menu
- Choose “Streaming Channels”
- Select the Hulu channel
- Tap the “*” star button
- Choose “Manage Subscriptions” to see more subscription options and information
- Select “Cancel subscription”
- Confirm your choice
- Click “Done”
If a pop-up shows up asking whether you want to keep your Hulu channel until the end of the current billing period or remove it immediately, you'd better keep it. Hulu will charge you for the current billing period either way.
Another simple option is to cancel your subscription online from Roku's website as follows:
- Go to the Roku Sign in page on your computer or mobile device
- Sign in to your Roku account using your login credentials
- Go to the “Welcome + [your name]” section
- Choose “Manage your Subscription” from the drop-down menu
- Locate your Hulu subscription on the page that appears
- Tap “Unsubscribe”
Note that if you cannot find the Hulu account field, you most probably didn't subscribe through Roku. If that's the case, you can cancel your Hulu membership online using the Hulu website, as previously explained.
Keeping your Hulu subscription ongoing could become an unnecessary burden added to your budget. Knowing all the cancellation options and procedures will help you save time and avoid complications and excessive spending when you decide to cancel your Hulu account. Simply choose the best alternative for your particular case and follow our step-by-step guidelines.
Cancel Hulu Subscription by Phone
If you choose to cancel your membership by directly contacting Hulu, you'll be able to call Hulu Customer Service at 1(888)265-6650 anytime, 24/7. You can contact an agent by pressing 4 or by staying on the line. The waiting time doesn't usually exceed 1 to 5 minutes, even during peak hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a Hulu Account Be Canceled At Any Time?
Yes. No matter how long you have been using your Hulu subscription, you can always cancel it, and if you do so, you will still be able to use Hulu until the end of your current billing period.
Should I Pay a Fee to Cancel my Hulu Subscription?
No, there is no extra fee, and the process is free of charge.
Can I Pause/Freeze My Hulu Membership Temporarily?
Yes. As mentioned earlier, Hulu is continuously making efforts to keep its users by offering the option of pausing the subscription for up to 12 weeks. Here is how to freeze your Hulu account:
- Log in to your Hulu account
- Choose the “Your Subscription” section
- On the lower part of the page, tap “Pause” in “Pause Your Subscription”
- Choose the duration you want to freeze your subscription
- Tap “Submit”
While your subscription is paused, you can always cancel it or reactivate it through your Account settings. If you don't take any action, your subscription will be automatically reactivated after the end of the specified duration, and your account will be charged accordingly.