Are you curious about how to cancel Apple TV, the streaming service also known as Apple TV? If so, this post should help you figure it out.
Canceling your subscription isn’t challenging, but the process does differ a bit depending on what kind of device you’re using to stream your favorite shows and movies.
Here’s a quick start guide to help you get rid of Apple TV quickly and easily.
Can I Cancel Apple TV Anytime?
Decided Apple TV Plus isn’t the right streaming service for you? Whether you’re ditching television entirely or just want to switch to a new streaming service, like Netflix, rest assured that you aren’t locked into a long-term contract with Apple.
You can cancel your Apple TV Plus subscription at any time. The key to not losing any money in the process is to cancel at least one day before each renewal date. You can view this renewal date by logging in to the Settings app on your account.
Once you cancel, you will immediately lose access, and you will stop being billed for any recurring subscription fees. If you wait until after the renewal date to cancel, you’ll have to wait until the next billing cycle for the cancellation to take effect.
How to Cancel Apple TV on Any Device
If you’re ready to start saving a bit of money, we have good news. Canceling Apple TV Plus is not challenging, and you don’t need to stay on the phone waiting on hold all day in order to do it.
Here’s how to cancel Apple TV Plus on any device you might be watching it on.
1. Canceling Apple TV Plus Subscription on Apple TV
If you’ve been watching Apple TV Plus on an Apple TV, canceling it is just about as easy as can be.
- Start by navigating to the Apple TV home screen, then press “Settings.” Select the option for “Users and Accounts,” then choose your username.
- Scroll down until you find the option for “Subscriptions.” Select “Apple TV Plus – Channel.”
- Navigate down and click “Cancel Subscription.” Then, confirm.
2. How to Cancel Apple TV on a Browser
You can also use a regular browser on a laptop or desktop computer to cancel your Apple TV Plus subscription.
- Go to this link or type in tv.apple.com. Once there, sign in by clicking the button at the top righthand corner. Use your Apple ID to log in, click the little person icon at the upper righthand corner, and then click “Settings.”
- Navigate down to your subscriptions.
- Where you see Apple TV Plus, select the “Manage” option.
- Select “Cancel Subscription.” You’ll be prompted to confirm.
3. How to Cancel Apple TV Subscription on Mac
You can cancel your Apple TV Plus subscription on a Mac in one of two ways – you can use a browser to do so, or you can open up the Apple TV Plus app. Since we’ve already told you how to cancel via a browser, this next section will give you the instructions you need to cancel via the app.
- Click on the Apple TV Plus app. Select “Account,” which can be found at the top of the page, then click “View My Account.”
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu, then click “Manage.”
- Click on “Edit.”
- Select “Cancel Subscription.”
4. Canceling Apple TV on Your iPhone
It is even possible to cancel your subscription from your phone.
- Start by opening up your Apple TV app. Tap the profile icon (found in the upper righthand corner), then select “manage subscriptions.”
- Here you’ll select Apple TV Plus. Tap “Cancel Subscription,” then confirm.
5. How to Cancel Apple TV on iPad
On an iPad, you can cancel Apple TV Plus by following these instructions:
- Launch the App Store.
- Click your profile icon.
- Select “Manage Subscriptions.” You should be able to see a list of your active and expired subscriptions, including your Apple TV Plus subscription.
- Select “Cancel.”
6. How to Cancel Apple TV Subscription on Roku
If you’ve been watching Apple TV Plus on Roku, another streaming service, you can cancel it at least 24 hours before your next billing date.
To do that, follow these instructions:
- Open the Apple TV Plus app.
- Select “Settings,” then click “Accounts.”
- Select “Manage Subscriptions.” You should see Apple TV Plus listed here as a channel.
- Click “Cancel” or “Cancel Trial” (depending on what kind of membership you have) to confirm your cancellation.
What If I Change My Mind?
After you’ve canceled your Apple TV Plus subscription, you can reactivate it at any time.
To do this, all you need to do is visit tv.apple.com on your browser or head over to the Apple TV app (which you can find on an iPhone or the Apple TV).
Once there, you just need to go back into your account settings and select the option to reactivate the account. It’s as easy as that!
How Do I Cancel My Free Trial of Apple TV Plus?
Just as you can cancel your Apple TV Plus subscription at any time, you can cancel your free trial whenever you’d like, too.
However, there are a few caveats here.
If you cancel during your free year, you (and anybody else who is enjoying access to your Apple TV Plus subscription) will immediately lose access for the remainder of the one-year free trial. You cannot reactivate the trial.
Therefore, it’s a good idea to wait until the very end of the free trial to cancel just in case you change your mind at the last minute and decide you’d like to keep Apple TV Plus around.
The same goes for shorter trial periods (the one-year trial is available for iPhone, Mac, iPad, and Apple TV owners only, not for viewers on browsers or other devices, like Rokus). Apple also offers one-week and one-month trials, but the same cancellation windows apply.
What Are Some Good Apple TV Alternatives?
Apple TV Plus is one of the best streaming services out there. It has a low monthly cost of just $4.99 per month (or $49.99 for a full year).
This is lower than most of the other competitors, including Netflix. However, there are lots of reasons why you might consider ditching Apple TV Plus. It has very little original content for starters and doesn’t roll out large batches of television episodes (releasing them episode by episode instead of by season).
If you find that Apple Plus just isn’t for you, some solid competitors include:
- Amazon Prime Video – This is a great choice if you already have an Amazon Prime membership, since this is included in the overall fee and won’t cost you anything extra.
- Hulu – Hulu has lots of top-rated television shows and a live TV streaming option
- HBO Max – You can view HBO’s entire catalog of movies, shows and original content.
- Netflix – You can’t beat the selection of shows and movies you’ll find on Netflix, especially when it comes to award-winning original content.
Of course, you don’t have to trade anything in for Apple TV Plus if you don’t want to – sometimes, canceling just means canceling!
Now that you know how to cancel Apple TV Plus, you’ll be able to get rid of it on any device and start saving some cash.